|SHUCKLAND Introduction Alphabetical List of Locations|
|Legend:||Beside the main A132 Runwell Road is a small graveyard (TQ750939.) It has no church with it, but is all that remains of Wicken's first Congregational Chapel, which was built in 1811, but was in serious disrepair by 1875. Children used to run past it fearfully, lest they saw the ghostly black dog that was reputed to haunt the burial ground and the nearby area.|
Maurice Wakeham: 'Aspects of Wickford History' (Matador, 2016), p.26.
|Place Name:||O.E: "ford by a wych elm", or possibly "by a dairy farm".|