Hidden East Anglia:
Landscape Legends of Eastern England
W. G. Clarke described three pits or hollows beside Peddar's Way on Roudham Heath, not far from the hamlet of Illington. One was known as Thieves' Pit, "so called because it is alleged that when Illington Hall was robbed many years ago, the thieves left their horses, which had their shoes reversed, at this spot".
Source: W. G. Clarke: 'In Breckland Wilds' (Robert Scott, 1925), p.124.
Against the north side of the 14th century church of Holy Trinity was once a small priory of 'St. Mary, the Holy Trinity, and St. Victor, for the redemption of captives from the Turks'. Established in 1630 by Sir Miles Stapleton, negligible remains exist in the churchyard itself, the conventual buildings forming the nucleus of the nearby Swan Inn at the staggered crossroads. The story goes that when the church altar was taken down for repairs in the 1860s, not only were found 19 skeletons piled beneath it, but also the entrance to a tunnel that supposedly linked the priory with the Manor House ½ a mile away. Unfortunately this passage, never explored, was sealed up again.
Source: Ernest R. Suffling: 'History & Legends of the Broad District' (Jarrolds, 1891), p.39-40.
Just over the churchyard wall, again on the north side, is a deep and wide depression, now grassed and overgrown. This is the site of a former gravel pit, which was once allegedly haunted by the apparition of a "tall pale lady."
Source: Ernest R. Suffling: 'History & Legends of the Broad District' (Jarrolds, 1891), p.125.
Some boulders in the Sanctuary at Mannington Hall (TG145322) in this parish were once allegedly described as 'Druid's Stones'. At the beginning of the 20th century they were portrayed by one observer as having "a polished surface and glaciated scratchings", and to be "reeking with the blood of victims".
Source: 'Norfolk Archaeology', Vol.14 (1900-02), p.327.
A large drain is almost certainly responsible for the legend of a tunnel from the moat around 15th century Mannington Hall (TG145322) to the 700 year old remains of the church, just across the road.
Source: 'Norfolk Archaeology', Vol.16 (1904-5), p.94.